- An Activity can be nested in another Activity or Process
- A parent Activity can be nested to other parent or child Activities
- A process cannot be nested in an Activity
- A process can be nested in another Process
- A Process or Activity with connections cannot be nested unless connections are removed first
- Tool supports N level of Nesting fulfilling above criteria
- Select an Activity or Process by left click on it, it’s border will turn to blue this indicates as a source element which is to be nested
- Now right click on other Activity or Process and a menu will be shown, click on Nest Under option and the selected item will be nested inside this item
- Nesting - the "classical" way of grouping events together
- Single instance sub-process - a new way of "grouping" events which we believe is more intuitively. Once the grouping is Accepting, i.e. no pending events (blue exclamation marks) exists, the sub-process is considered done.
The main difference between nesting and sub-process is that in nesting all events must be executed before you can proceed, while for sub-processes the process must be in accepting mode to continue. This is illustrated with this graph.
Notice that Continue2 is enabled while Continue1 is not. The reason is that the Subprocess is accepting, i.e. no pending events exists.
Also - notice that no roles can be selected for a sub-process.
You choose between nesting and sub-process in the advanced options dialog as can be seen in the picture 2.